Letchworth Park, New York

 
 
 
 

We left Penfield about 11 o'clock in the morning and got there about an hour later, hungry and ready for lunch. Fortunately they have a Mc Donald's on the way to the park surrounded by lovely farmland. We got some lunch and took it up with us for a picnic in the park. There are numerous places to have a picnic with reasonably clean sturdy picnic tables which overlook some of the prettiest places I have ever seen. I can just imagine how lovely it looks when the leaves are changing in the fall.

For those who have never been, you can choose to spend the day or the week, either in a tent in the campsites or even rent out a cabin. There are many amenities including a restaurant near the lower falls and also a soda shop. I know I am not mentioning everything because there were many facilities that we did not have the time to explore, but I saw several swimming pools including one that is under repair. The trails are also numerous and range in difficulty.

Animal watching is plentiful. While we were there we saw numerous insects creating a symphony, bird singing, a chipmunk, and some turkey vultures flying overhead. So be ready with your camera but also be sure to take "Off" or other insect repellent because this is nature at its healthiest and there are plenty of bugs.

So we crossed the whole park taking in the breathtaking gorge with the river below, well situated trails and overhangs, as well as, several waterfalls. In my eagerness to take some pictures, I got in trouble!! I did something daredevilish and immediately got caught. I stepped over a ledge and immediately a Park Ranger saw me do it and stopped his vehicle and came over and gave me a lecture. He said very sternly, "How much is that picture worth to you?" That he had just three days before, pulled a man's body from a cliff on the other side of the park because he had done the same thing. He also added the man was intoxicated, but that made no difference. He explained that some of the ledges appear to be solid but are in fact undercut underneath and could easily give way. I told him he was right and that I promised never to do it again. I was in truth very grateful. He might have just saved my life and my granddaughters who in the future might have tried this same stupid stunt and have hurt themselves. I should have known better than to have done that!!

But anyway, here are just a sampling of the tons of pictures I did take. I have more and will put them up.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Naughty Elba! Glad he saved you!! LOVE your pictures, my favorite is you and A!

Popular Posts