What is in a name?

To be called Abuelita after being called Grandma Elba for seven years, is quite the loaded question. Turns out that mi nieta, Zee (not her real name) has been learning Spanish, after resisting a second language for a long time. She has been learning Spanish through her mami, saying mira chica, and que pasa? and other short phrases here and there. Her mami is very proud to be Puertorriqueña, and has her culture on display all over the house. Mi orgullo. In addition she has experienced Spanish by going to Puerto Rico at least once every year, watching Dora the Explorer, and reading bilingual books . She has also made Zee perk up because her older sister has been taking Spanish more seriously.

Any way, Zee, all of a sudden feels proud of her Latin roots. Hurray, but the consequence is that she wants to change my name. She calls me Abuelita now. I was sort of comfortable with Grandma all these years, and all of a suddden, I come visit my daughter and she announces the name change. I like it actually but it takes getting used to. She called me abuelita yesterday and I didn't even know she was talking to me. Get the idea? Anyway. It was funny, mi americanita, calling me Abuelita. Bueno ahi vamos. I might have her call me by a nickname, or simply, Lita, for the end of Abuelita. It'll be a nice compromise. We'll see how that goes. I might answer after a while, I think.

Comments

Popular Posts