An eye for Charleston

 
Posted by Picasa


Last week I had a chance to go sightseeing through Charleston with long time native and great friend, Ranne Gammus. We started at the Battery and worked our way through all the beautiful gardens and colonial houses, especially the Charlestonian single houses. I didn't realize they called them single because they were only one bedroom wide. They seem a curiosity because their front door also does not open to a living room but to a side porch, even as stately as that front door may appear.

Later we meandered through cobblestone streets to see some of the new construction built by newcomers which I shall not call Yankees by any means, but you get the drift. These new condos are right next to the fountain which is quite refreshing especially for the young folks that come with their parents to see this "holy city." The title is for so many churches located in its city limits.

Then we roamed the market place at a good time because it was getting close to closing time when many market patrons offer really good deals. While examining some bracelets which I wasn't that interested in buying, and frankly had run out of cash a lady told me to make my best offer, and I felt so bad because I didn't have any money to bargain with. I also didn't want to take advantage of her. It was sad. I didn't want to offend her with a cheap offer. Perhaps tomorrow would be a better day. I am sure it would be, at least that was my hope.

Our outing was coming to a close so we went down Market Street, to find Wentworth, Calhoun, and circled back on King. What a name, King, so befitting for a street that is so full of history, drama, stores, hotels, restaurants, and galleries. Old buildings which still retain their original charm and often their founding names though they now house new owners. It is a sight for comfortable shoes and nimble legs, but for us that day all our shots were from a comfortable air conditioned car. Nevertheless, the pictures still capture much of the charm and style of the city, don't you think? Hope you enjoy them.

Comments

Popular Posts