Transitioning

That is the word that is trending.  Transitioning.  Instead of saying you are moving, I heard a gal say she was transitioning from New York to Washington, D.C.  Umm.  I thought it was moving but really,  when you move many people need to do some back and forth things in order to move from one place to another.  I see their point.

I am an excellent example of transitioning.  Getting a place up north and then going back and forth through the process of resettling.  Sending boxes, going back set up the place for sale or rent.  It is pretty interesting.  I know of people who are of the thought it is do or bust.  In fact, in the decades past, it was all pretty cut and dry.  There wasn't this lingering and back and forth. I think of the people who got on wagon trains and set forth to the West. Often times, they took very little and even on the paths they threw out useless things that were weighing them down. Those who moved from across the sea usually only brought what could fit in a a suitcase or a trunk. Could you imagine?

In my lifetime, I have had my share of moving.   Coming from a military family, that is what we did.  We packed up our stuff, returned what was issued to us on base, and then packed our essentials and off we went.  Unfortunately, I can't remember all the details, but I do remember mom always telling us to be careful how we used things, such as furniture and covers since all of that was borrowed.  Now looking back, I am so glad for those experiences since they taught me what is truly reality.  We are really in a temporary state.  Many of the things we have around us don't really "belong to us." We are actually custodians of them for a while.  Later, when I was married, I had the luck, destiny, fortune, I don't know what to call it nicely of being married to someone who enjoyed flipping houses slowly.  We would move to a house, improve it, and then he would decide it was time to move on.  So I became an expert at moving every four years.  Fortunately, I decided to stop the madness.  Yet, change is inevitable.

Here I am transitioning into a new home.  I came with around 20 boxes, a rocker, a curio cabinet, a buffet, a dresser, and a bed.  I think pretty low key.  Things quickly got better for me.  I got a cute dining room table with four chairs from my beloved daughter A!  Yes! I now had a place for me and others to sit! Then, my beloved daughter R gave me a comfy recliner which bless her heart she carried in with her spouse K.  Later she brought me a coffee table and two end tables.  In addition, my daughter A had a co-worker who was emptying a house, and had a sofa and two chairs to give away.  She and another co-worker drove all the way to Buffalo to pick them up and delivered them to my apartment.  My beloved daughter A and granddaughter Z-R with the co-workers helped to bring the sofa and two chairs in which completed my living room.  Definitely these things transitioned to me!!!

Finally, the furniture seemed a bit seventies- but was in excellent condition! So I am transitioning them into the new millennium by updating them. I removed the cover-all skirt they had at the bottom and now you can see what is underneath the sofa and chairs and appreciate the clean lines and cute feet of the furniture.  It would be unrealistic to say they look right out of a store, but they have been updated.  They have a new look!

So, I am so grateful to everyone who has in some way made be feel welcome to my new abode.  My paintings are up on the walls as well as some decorations around this comfortable apartment which is filled with lots of love.  I am still transitioning in but to my friends and family, you are welcome to come visit!

Umm, I just need some valences..... hahahaha!

Comments

Popular Posts