The Sights and Sounds of the Erie Canal

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa


I'm just going to go ahead and write about Pittsford and the Erie Canal right here. As you must know Lake Ontario is north of Rochester. According to the Columbia Encyclopedia the canal is "An artificial waterway extending about 579 km (360 mi) across central New York from Albany to Buffalo. Constructed from 1817 to 1825 and enlarged numerous times after 1835, it is now part of the New York State Barge Canal. " I had no idea frankly about all that information. In fact what I did know was that it was an artificial waterway but I didn't realize it connected Albany to Buffalo. You learn something new everyday!

Anyway, after our incident at Letchwork State Park, we decided to continue the rather safe pursuit of good homemade ice cream rather than unpredictable outdoor adventures. The place to go for this is in Pittsford which is right off the Erie Canal, a place I had seen in passing several times but had no idea I would actually get to see. The unexpected turn of events placed us there.

If you look at the pictures you can't help but notice how pretty Pittsford is. Just driving through, you find that it is a quaint township which takes a great deal of pride in its surroundings. The only thing I can compare it to is Winter Park, Florida's Park Avenue, near the Morse Museum. But you don't have to be wealthy to enjoy the view, to feed the mallard ducks, to smell the roses, to race to see a rowing team practicing, nor to stroll the canal with ice cream in hand. You can see my granddaughters enjoying themselves thoroughly as I did also. In fact, my granddaughter Aay says, " it was real fun!" There are plenty of shops, restaurants, and leisurely things to do and I wouldn't mind coming here again.

Comments

Popular Posts