Life in Western New York is not like Puerto Rico

As I started to say a few minutes ago, life in Western New York is quite different to Puerto Rico. After Hurricane Maria, I had to make some difficult choices and moving to New York was one of them. To say I have had to make a couple of adjustments is a huge understatement. The changes are countless and many of the changes are for the best. Being that I have always looked for the silver lining, I have tried to stay as positive as possible. One of the positives is having my daughters near by. In spite of that it has been difficult to interact with them. This past year has been difficult for everyone living anywhere on this planet. The isolation is the worse. We are all trying to stay alive and that has forced so many of us to forego close contact with those we love. So whether I had been near to the ocean and palm trees, my church family, and everything I found familiar, I think I would have been in the same predictament, except with warmer climate. Here in the Rochester area, I do have family, my two daughters, but I see them on ocassional weekends. I am so grateful for telephones, Zoom calls from friends, Bible Studies, a grocery pick up, a visit to the drug store, a drive through order at Panera, a drive to the bank. All these things help to keep a semblance of social contact and normalacy. Some days are better than others. To tell you the truth, I am glad I am talking about it because I know I am not the only one. So what else am I do to keep my sanity? Well, for starters, I have made use of technology. I learned to use Zoom. I have attended meetings 3,000 miles away from here, attended a Bible study, and have seen old and new friends that way. I have even taught an art class on Zoom. Giving that Art class forced me to write some lesson plans. Believe me that is something I never imagined myself doing. Nevertheless, not only did it give me an opportunity to pull out my paint brushes and paints but to talk to friends about some of the things that bring me joy. Maybe I should start up my art time with friends again. I think I could use the company, not to mention art is fun. I also started noticing I was not being quite as productive as I would like to be so I decided to start making a list of things I would like to do, especially when my mind was clearest. So I made a list on things I could do to be creative. Instead of just having a random thought about something I could do, I jotted them down. So now when I find myself thinking I am bored, especially with the weather being so cold outside and snowy, I can have a go to list of things to do. In my list I have included such things as painting greeting cards, making jewelry and face masks, as well as rearranging my furniture. I did that later today so that has given me a sense of satisfaction. Just having made that list has started me in the right direction. For some reason today, I decided to check my blog. This wasn't on my list, but I am so glad I did. I discovered that the interface on Blogger has changed slightly and I might be able to put up my pictures more easily, Funny, I was thinking I was going to write about how life is different here in Western New York, but I have ended up writing about how life is the same for many of us no matter where we are at. Many of us are in the same predicament. How do we deal with having this lingering thought that we might become ill and have to struggle for our lives? I have decided that I want to keep on loving others regardless if I am stuck at home. I want to continue loving God and trusting him for my eternity. Loving God and loving others gives me a purpose regardless. Write a card, make a phone call, write I love you on Facebook, join others in prayer, read a book, paint, teach, move. Life isn't over.
,

Comments

Popular Posts