The Silver Palmetto

The Silver Palmetto

After Winter Park
Red cabooses
Refurbished Pullman cars neatly parked, 
Grey marshes on beige riverbeds 
Flash by
Spring grows as we travel northward.
Narrow paths dotted with flashing red lights
Clanging loudly announcing
Little towns, big cities, now
An open field with calves brown, white, and creamy
A long look in a lull, as my eyes take in boats 
moored under a bridge in Jacksonville
Tall buildings in a distance
Pointy and shiny
Stopping and going, 
sliding and curving
Bouncing and swaying as on a wave 
that makes it difficult to hold on as I walk with one unsteady knee down to the dining car.
My young travel companion leads the way,
over wet metal joiners that are as slippery as butter.
We return cautiously with our arms full of dinner. 
We talk and eat.
Then she asked me, are you a Christian? 
I am, too, she says, showing me the tiniest of earrings, 
She is so brave.
Then a conversation: 
I tell her my Maria survival story, 
about moving my trash can out of the shower and turning the stall into a safe place.
Even how I started my path to meet the Messiah,
then we go back to what we were doing.
I go back to my crocheting
She plays
On her game boy. 
The conductor signals that Savannah is fast approaching
She thanks me for talking to her!
I thank her, as we say
Goodbye 
And my new found friend disembarks.

The sun is setting as we pull away from Savannah
The lights begin to flicker,
The shimmer of the sun low on the river
I follow the sights out my window
With little light left I see
Glimpses of a black river 
With a ripple breaking through it,
Feathery pines with skirted branches,
Some Spanish moss sways,
The dark forest wet by the rain
Sprinkles muddy creeks
That shimmer as the sun is lower on the river. 
We stop. 
For what seems an eternity. 
Suddenly a long brown train thunders by rattling us, 
Then we crawl forward and 
we are in Yemesee.
On our way to Charleston,
A man gets onboard and now sits next to me.
He is an intelligent gentleman but not used to
A Latina striking up a conversation.
The whistle blows.
I let it go, but not before learning he 
and his family are heading to Bronx for a happy graduation. 
As the train rocks us gently 
And the whistle blows deeply
Through the Low Country
On my way to Wadmalaw
Seeped in Gullah, 
Palmettos,
Friends, memories,
Marshes, and dreams.

Comments

Popular Posts