Perseid's Meteor Shower

Got up half an hour ago and went outside to see the Perseids and didn't see any shooting stars but I did see a whole night sky that was sparkling! No disappointments here! Okay, maybe just a little but it was beautiful anyway. I do need to take bug spray next time though.

I trepidatiously stepped outside in the dark, accompanied only by my cellphone with its flashlight on. It's one of the best flashlights I have ever had, now that I come to think of it.  Three intensities.  I know, a sentence fragment, my specialty.  In any case, there I was: the ominous backyard and me.  From the bushes I heard a rustle and I pointed my handy flashlight/phone to it. Nothing more stirred.  It was as if my flashlight was a torch like in the movies, where a torch kept all those wild beasts away, even if the beast in this case was a mouse, squirrel, and God forbid a possum.  I figured that that skinny black snake I encountered the other day was probably curled up under a pile of leaves and would do me no harm.  

That was fifteen minutes ago.  Now, I just looked up the Perseid Meteor Shower 2013 they say it will only be visible from California to Chicago, but family in Puerto Rico told me that could see it there.  So I thought I would be able to see it here.  

Truthfully,  you know something, a clear moonless sky never disappoints. Even if you are in the city suburbs.  The only concern was the bugs.  I was out there for what seemed like fifteen minutes.   Considering that I was a perfect target for a bite, it was only after what seemed an eternity, that I felt an insect, small as it may have been, crawling on the left side of my forehead. I squeezed it and it crumpled up.  I took that as a sign that I needed to go in.  Once one had stealthily spotted me with its infrared eyes, all that rest would follow with theirs.  I needed to be on my way. 

But the sky... it didn't disappoint.  Not one shooting star for me tonight-- no, just hundreds dazzling the night!

Comments

Popular Posts