It's Complicated

Perhaps this story is not as exciting as Dicken's A Tale of Two Cities, but to me it came close.  Recently, I went to my Winn-Dixie supermarket and bought around seventy five dollars worth of groceries including some chicken breasts which were on sale for all the WD cardholders.  When I got home every item had been discounted except for the the chicken.  We were talking about more than three dollars.  Then I misplaced my sales receipt though I had full intention of taking them back the very next day to get my refund.  I had in my haste to keep the kitchen organized, placed the receipt among some mail I had received.  Thus the receipt remained undetected and unretrieved till yesterday late in the evening when I found it.  Well, I thought, tomorrow is another day and I can go in the morning before church.

So this morning at about noon I went back to the store where they kindly refunded me the three dollars and change they owed me.  I tossed the chicken in the cart and bought a couple of items I needed.  I went through the line and paid for my items.  I had placed the chicken in the upper basket and the other items below.  When I went to pack the items into the trunk, I quickly removed all the items in the front of the cart and placed them in the trunk, grabbed my purse that was on the upper basket, returned the cart to the bin, got into my car, and drove home.

It wasn't until after I had made lunch that I finished putting away all the groceries that I discovered the chicken was missing.  Then I thought, darn, I just lost six something dollars.  The chicken has either been in the sun or someone found it and took it home with them.  A little pessimistic, no doubt.

Then I thought, oh well, I can now release this loss as a gift I am giving to that supposed person that found it.  Then it will not seem such a loss after all.  Lots of good thinking and positive thoughts. Ummmmm.  Then I thought, perhaps I should call the store, but deep inside I doubted anyone had turned it in.  (Not so positve thought.) Oh, well, after pondering it for a while, I finally called the store.  What the heck.  Already feeling a little foolish for having left it in the cart in the first place after having had such a time with the receipt and then asking for the money.  It is such a long story.

I called.  A gentleman answered, I told him my sad confusing tale, and he inquired.  To my utter disbelief, someone had turned in the chicken!  They had placed it in a freezer close to the front of the store and for me to go get it!

Wow, I was so shocked and happy!  Did I learn anything? Yes!  Believe the best in people.  Don't jump to conclusions, and make the call.  Do the therapy if needed,  later.  Laugh out loud!

That chicken is getting cooked tonight, and that is that!

Comments

Popular Posts