34 or More Small Earthquakes in the Puerto Rico Region

I have become an avid earthquake follower since the Christmas Eve earthquake which rattled my chair last year. Having most of my family in Puerto Rico, it isn't hard to understand why I would frequently check how the earth is shaking back home since Puerto Rico does lie on a fault line.

So today, I did. As I scrolled down on the USGS recent earthquake list I saw the usual NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN... that area has not stopped shaking since the big one last month. Then a new one, OAXACA, MEXICO, 4.3., not too bad. OREGON, ALASKA (not unsual), BAJA CALIFORNIA (recently it was Northern California, Central California, and Baja California several times a day), and no I am not yelling! This is how they appear in the report, each site is capitalized. Then I saw PUERTO RICO REGION. Okay, just a 2.7 Magnitude. Not a problem...until, I kept scrolling down. There must have been a misprint, I thought. 2.7, 2.8, 3.0, 3.1, 3.5 and they kept going and going and I started to lose count. I said wait a minute here. These are a lot of earthquakes. I started counting. I may have counted wrong but I counted at least 34 since eight o'clock last night. It was as if at eight someone said, "Let it rip," and it did.
34 of them. I need to count again.

In any case, I will gladly take 34 small tremors to a "big one" any day!

Comments

Popular Posts