Painting with Oils Again

 


Recently, I visited the Cheap Joe's Art Supplies website and clicked on one of Joe Miller's short tutorials. He demonstrated how you can staple a canvas pad to a padded poster board. Using this technique makes oil painting significantly easier. In addition it simplifies the drying process since you may leave it on the padded board and set it out to dry directly. With staples the pad doesn't tear as when I would remove the masking tape and now I simply leave it on the board and set it out to dry.

It would be naive of me to say, that there are now no problems. Oil painting still is messy and smelly, but I have worked out a system. I paint the painting indoors, and without much ado, I remove the padded board from the easel with the painting still stapled to it, then either set it up or hang it up to dry outside. Immediately, I am ready to tackle another painting. The padded board makes this easy since you can punch holes through the board with a screw driver and then pass a cord through and hang it on a peg. Right now I have 3 outside drying.

This painting is called On the Beach, for the coconuts location. I could have called it Maunabo Beach but liked on the beach better since it could be any tropical beach.

There is nothing like the real thing. It just draws your imagination to think of all it has seen: people jogging by, lovers hand in hand, sunrises and sunsets, rain and sunshine. If you do a search on Maunabo on my blog on the upper left hand corner it will take you to several entries, and among them you will find my coconut picture. So I painted this painting on a 12 by 16 inch Canvas Pad and used Winton and Daler-Rowne artist oil colours. It took some time to paint and is currently drying, I am happy to say. This painting can be found on ETSY.com if you would like to purchase it. It will be my pleasure to send it your way.

Tomorrow I will post my Crucifixtion painting.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts