Someone wrote me today

Actually it was Tony Santiago, a.k.a.Tony The Marine, who after his service to our country became an historian. What a surprise to have someone sort of "discover" you and they be someone with some recognition. In other words, it was an honor. He basically told me "the rest of the story," as Paul Harvey would say. I hope he doesn't mind my sharing part of his letter.


Dear Elba,

I just ran into your website and enjoyed your comments on Joseph M. Acaba, which you posted on March 9 (my birthday).

I thought that I would share the following with you:

I found out about Joe Acaba when he was still an astronaut candidate and made friends with him. We have interacted and he even sent my granddaughter Isabel an autographed picture and some astronaut stuff. One of the things that we have in common and that bonded our friendship was that he too was a Marine. After Joe passed the NASA training and became officially an astronaut, I got in touch with Kenneth McClintock, who is also a good friend of mine, and told him because I wanted him to be the first to know, plus I recommended that the Puerto Rican Government honor him. Believe it or not no one in Puerto Rico knew about Acaba and when McClintock called the newspapers, he told them "I know something that you don't know". On March 2008, the Government sent for Acaba and honored him, Acaba even held a conference in "El Parque de las Ciencias" in Bayamon. I can't go to the launching because of the economic and Milly's, my wifes, health situation, but I think that Kenneth and his son Kevin will be there.

I have written hundreds of articles about the contributions which Puerto Ricans have made hoping that I could inspire our youth to seek higher goals in their lives by providing positive role models. I admire the fact that you are a teacher. Here is a list with my work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Marine_69-71 feel free to use.

In case that you are wondering, this is who I am: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Santiago

Que Dios te bendiga,


Tony Santiago
a.k.a.
Tony The Marine"

Wasn't that nice? The nicest things happen when you are blogging!

Comments

Popular Posts