I was in the dark

On my way home today, I did the usual. Order a pizza, stop at Ferrara's on Curry Ford Road, and get their Monday/Tuesday large cheese pizza which gives me about 3 meals which I stretch over a two week period. So today, when I got home, I already had dinner with me. Thank God. First the garage door wouldn't open. How could this be? It was working just fine this morning.
So I got out, opened the front door, and the inside light wouldn't come on. It was then I realized the power company had shut off the power. Umm, what to do? Eat my pizza? I was starving, but I knew if I didn't hurry I wouldn't be able to get my power back on by tonight. I didn't have the number and the sun was beginning to set, being that is was 6:45 already. I searched through my mail and found the customer service number, and of course the letter saying they were going to cut off the power if I didn't pay. So I hurriedly made my payment by phone which thank God I was able to do. I had been careless and forgot to pay my bill. Now I was paying for it.

Since it was still twilight, I opened all the blinds, opened some windows and let some fresh air in, and searched for candles and matches. Fortunately, I found four scented candles and wondered how long these would last? And more importantly how long would they take to restore the power? The candles flickered a shaky irregular light. Not enough to read by but I figured I could wash the dishes with it, and I did but not before I started reheating my last slice of pizza.

I have a George Foreman grill outside, and I keep the top grill part indoors for cleanliness. I lit the fire, situated the clean grill, and placed my pizza and lowered the cover. Then I washed the dishes. It is so much more romantic to wash the dishes in candlelight. Who am I kidding? There was nobody there but me. Lovely, different, but really, not romantic. Anyway, I was getting hungry so I went and recovered my pizza. That is when I discovered a gourmet's delight. If you want the best reheated pizza ever, use the grill. Since it spreads the heat evenly, it crisped the pizza pie better than when it was fresh, and then it heated the cheese till it was almost bubbly. I tell you, it was better than fresh.

I enjoyed my pizza, then started wondering how much longer would I be forced to relax. I decided to call my daughter Ana and chat and ask her about her cold and we did for about 10 minutes when, just as I was about to hang up I heard some clatter outside and the lights suddenly went on. I had power again. Just in time to tell Annie all was well, but actually it had been fine.

Crispy pizza, clean china, plenty of candles and time to chat and put my feet up and relax. It 's okay to not have light sometimes.

Comments

Popular Posts