Old Hymns

I go to a very untraditional church in many ways. First of all, it's huge. Northland, a Church Distributed. Even the name sounds untraditional, but of course the concept is very 1st century church. Go out there and preach the gospel as a lifestyle of loving people and being a testimony in your circle of influence. It's a lot more than that, but I think that is what it is in a nutshell. Back to the basics, basically.

Anyway, we don't sing many of the old hymns. Well, sometimes we do, but in a different style, and I am all for that, but there are times, when your heart calls you to sing those old time hymns of the faith which you grew up on. Like the Old Rugged Cross, and Be Thou My Vision, Jesus, I am Resting, Resting in the joy of what thou art, I am finding out the greatness of thy loving heart..., and Wonderful Grace of Jesus, greater than all my sin, how can my soul describe it, where shall it grace begin, taking away my burden, setting my spirit free for the wonderful grace of Jesus, reaches me. Some times you need to sing these songs, to wash off some of the dust that gets on our feet as we walk through this we call life.

Today was one of those days. I started singing the Old Rugged Cross, and remembered I had an old hymnal from my days at Grace Brethren Bible Church. For a moment as I sang, I was sort of transported back to the time I was 16, and singing these hymns at the top of my lungs, with the same fervor I had then. It was beautiful, because I needed the encouragement and the opportunity of praise.

There was one song that I knew I could use some background music, A Mighty Fortress is Our God. So I googled the title, and viola, out came several websites that not only featured the lyrics but also the music. In fact, for some even in MP3 format. How times have changed. Old hymns in modern technology. Super.

Any way, one of the websites was www.songsandhymns.org You can search for a title and it will get you the lyrics and also the music. So yes, I am very happy I wanted to sing some of these hymns because they just led me to some peaceful waters.

Comments

Popular Posts